eLearning statement 2010
Wedge Park Primary School promotes Multimedia (MM) learning experiences that are suited to all students – their needs, interests and abilities. eLearning assists students to experience success and gain a positive self-esteem through having equal access to multimedia tools.
Wedge Park Primary School envisages an environment where the use of MM is regarded as an integral part of our everyday practices and administration management. It acknowledges the potential of eLearning to impact on learning outcomes for all students and the work habits of all staff.
Current use of eLearning in the school
· Prep classes have two to three Emac computers in each classroom.
· Grades 1-4 have 4 Emac computers in each classroom.
· Grades 5-6 have a 1:2 laptop program.
· The multimedia centre currently has 28 Imacs. The school plans to reduce the size of the multimedia centre and increase the number of computers in the classrooms. The multimedia centre is to have a minimum of 16 Imacs.
· Middle and senior computers either laptop, imac or emac computers working on system 10.7 or higher. The classroom use of computers is complimented with the students and teacher attending MM sessions within the lab with an experienced teacher.
. Classrooms have interactive Projectors(Prep - Grade 2) or Digital Projectors ( Grade 4-6). Grade 3 have Ipads
· Each classroom has access to iPods, digital and video cameras.
· Students have regular use of a variety of software integrated into the classroom program.
· The emphasis is on MM being a tool for each domain and not as a separate subject.
· All stakeholders (staff, parents, school council, and students) support collective responsibility for an eLearning Plan and for individualised student learning.
· The staff are engaged in serious MM critique, pedagogy development and school vision. Annual reviews are conducted through the ePotential survey as part of the schools strategic plan.
Staff make use of Rich Learning Tasks, requiring higher intellectual quality, and plan for more productive pedagogies. These tasks involve highly efficient use of MM.
All staff make heavy use of email within the school as a communication tool. With the advent of the Ultranet, staff are well trained to cope with this next major change.
The place of eLearning within the curriculum
At Wedge Park Primary School eLearning is utilized throughout the curriculum and has a vital role in increasing student engagement and results. Multimedia tools are to be used throughout the day across the curriculum.
· An allocation of 3.5% of School Global Budget (SGB) is allocated towards MM tools.
· MM equipment is no more than 5 years old.
· MM tools are used to target individual needs, rich tasks and cooperative learning.
· Students are able to move to and from computers as required.
· PD will be available to support staff in the use of MM tools to support their practice.
· Software and hardware will be kept as current as budgeting restrictions will allow.
· Wedge Park Primary School has a comprehensive website that staff, parents, students and the community are able to access.
· Wedge Park Primary School will introduce the Ultranet as it becomes available by the Department of Education & Early Childhood Development (DEECD).
“Acceptable use policy”
See the attached document
Professional Development Plan
PD at Wedge Park will take the following formats.
· All staff are to complete the ‘ePotential survey’ to develop an individual and school PD plan. The survey will be completed at the beginning and end of the school year.
· MM coaching and mentoring will be considered in allocation of teachers to class rooms annually. A staff member with MM strengths may be allocated a class alongside a staff member who has developing MM skills.
· Grade PD will occur on a regular basis allowing staff to develop MM skills relevant to their students’ needs. This may take the form of preparing activities and / or familiarizing staff with new software and hardware.
· The use of PD courses “on – line” will be supported and utilized as this facility develops further. This will support staff PD activities making use of Sofweb, and other digital contents.
· External PD making use of consultants & in-service opportunities will be funded from within the PD budget. This will also incorporate visits to other schools based on Best Use Practices.
· Electronic PD records (database) will be provided for staff to evaluate courses and to use as a reference for their Professional Development Program. This will also be a distribution point for staff to share their experiences and knowledge.
· Staff are required to subscribe the Sofweb Training and Development database. Located atwww.sofweb.vic.edu.au/pd/lt/index.htm
· Use of a locally appointed technician will occur, for him/her to provide PD pertaining to software and hardware issues.
Sixteen classrooms have been completed with MM technology imbedded into the structures. Additional computers will be purchased to maintain the ratio mentioned earlier, within budgeting constraints. Classrooms are equipped with data points and wireless networking. Students have access to printers within their classroom block.
· Development of Ultranet facilities for student and teachers.
· Software update to fully match with school’s curriculum.
· Greater software knowledge for teachers to make better use of programs to assist classroom activities.
· Continual hardware audit.
· Individual digital portfolios for students in 3-6 and class portfolios for student in P-2.
· Develop a PD skill list to be developed to suit the MM ability of teachers.
· Installation of projectors in senior classrooms.
· The creation of a media room.
Hardware: - As per attached
Network structure: - As per attached map
Budget as per Program Budget designated each year.
The eLearning at Wedge Park will be reviewed annually by the MM committee. All aspects of MM at Wedge Park will be considered.
These aspects will include:
- Hardware suitability for the programs available.
- Suitability of the programs themselves.
- Student outcomes achieved using MM.
- Effective use of all peripherals.
- PD successes and failures.
- Cost/effectiveness of internet access.
- Introduction of the Ultranet or equivalent LMS.
- 1:2 laptop program developments.
- MM Pedagogy development.